Many stores are closed for the Thanksgiving holiday, so if you have to do something
Last minute shopping before you have people, it's best to do it today. This trend started before the pandemic, but since then, many other retailers have decided to keep their doors closed on Thanksgiving and give staff a day off before the Black Friday deluge of deals begins the next day. .
However, some stores will remain open on Thanksgiving Day. But expect a change in opening hours.
It's always a good idea to check with your local store to make sure it will be open on Thanksgiving and to find out its hours of operation. It may not be easy to see the store's holiday hours on the retailer's website, but if you call the help line or reach out to ask, they should be able to let you know their plans.
Tabla de contenido
- 1 These supermarkets will open on Thanksgiving Day
- 2 These retailers will be open on Thanksgiving
- 3 These pharmacies will be open on Thanksgiving Day:
- 4 Thanksgiving Shopping FAQ
- 5 When is Thanksgiving 2022?
- 6 Can I shop for Thanksgiving?
- 7 What kinds of stores will be open on Thanksgiving?
- 8 How busy are the stores on Thanksgiving?
- 9 Where can I buy food on Thanksgiving?
- 10 Are pharmacies open on Thanksgiving?
- 11 Can I eat out for Thanksgiving?
- 12 When should I avoid driving to the store on Thanksgiving?
These supermarkets will open on Thanksgiving Day
- ACME will close early, usually around 4 p.m.
- HEB will be open from 6 am to 12 pm, the curb will be open between 7 am and 11 am The pharmacy will be closed.
- Kroger and Kroger-owned grocery stores (including Ralphs, King Soopers, Fred Meyer, Smith's and more) will remain open.
- Meijer will be open, but you have to wait for your local store to close early.
- Safeway will be open and most stores will follow their regular business hours.
- Stop & Shop will maintain its normal opening hours.
- Tom Thumb will close early, usually 4pm
- The Fresh Market will close early around 3 pm
- Vons will open at 6 am but will close early at 3 pm
- Wegmans will close early, usually around 4pm
- Whole Foods is open, but you need to check what time your local store will close.
These retailers will be open on Thanksgiving
- Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's will remain open with modified hours.
- Big Lots is expected to be open beginning in 2021, typically 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Thanksgiving.
- Dollar General will open some stores on Thanksgiving, but not all.
- Family Dollar will also follow suit.
- Gordmans will open but with reduced hours that vary by store.
- Sears will be open from 6 pm to midnight.
These pharmacies will be open on Thanksgiving Day:
- CVS will remain open and abide by its normal hours.
- Rite Aid will maintain its normal opening hours for most of its stores.
- Walgreens will open at 9 a.m. but will close earlier, with hours varying by store.
Thanksgiving Shopping FAQ
You can shop at Fred Meyer stores on Thanksgiving Day. (Image credit: Peter Bond photo on Unsplash)
When is Thanksgiving 2022?
This year, Thanksgiving falls on November 24. That means Black Friday is November 25, although you'll likely see plenty of deals before that day.
Can I shop for Thanksgiving?
As you can see from the list above, there are quite a few retailers that will be open on Thanksgiving this year. If you want to shop with one of them, you should be able to do so that same day, but always check your local store for opening hours. If you can't find this information online, you should be able to get an answer by stopping by the store or calling the help line.
Some major brands have chosen to close their doors on Thanksgiving, including Walmart, Costco, Target and Home Depot. Although you can't set foot in the store, you can shop online and they will reopen early for Black Friday.
What kinds of stores will be open on Thanksgiving?
All kinds of shops, from outdoor retailers to department stores and supermarkets, will be open on Thanksgiving this year. You can buy a fishing pole, pick up a recipe, buy last-minute errands, and browse the clothing racks if you want.
How busy are the stores on Thanksgiving?
In the days leading up to Thanksgiving, stores are incredibly busy as people stock up on holiday essentials. You might be surprised to learn that the Tuesday before Thanksgiving tends to be the busiest shopping day, not Wednesday. Most advice says you should try to do all your shopping the week before, but that's not always realistic.
If you have to go to the store on Thanksgiving itself, you should expect to see far fewer customers. According to the NRF Holiday Consumer Survey, there are 30,6 million potential shoppers on Thanksgiving, or just 28% of those expected to shop the day after Black Friday (108 million).
Where can I buy food on Thanksgiving?
Several grocery stores will be open on Thanksgiving so you can stock up on last-minute groceries before you start cooking. Keep in mind that many will close early, so your chances of finding a store still open will drop the later you leave.
Are pharmacies open on Thanksgiving?
It can be a relief to know that some pharmacies will be open on Thanksgiving Day. CVS, Walgreens and Rite Aid will be open, for example, and many will keep their normal opening hours. Check with your local store before you go as some may close early.
Can I eat out for Thanksgiving?
It's not just stores that stay open on Thanksgiving: many restaurants and cafes do as well. For example, most Starbucks and Dunkin' stores will remain open, as will IHOP, McDonald's, Popeye's, Applebee's, TGI Friday's, etc.
When should I avoid driving to the store on Thanksgiving?
Thanksgiving traffic can be a real challenge, but if you're strategic, you should be able to avoid some lines. According to AAA, you should leave Thanksgiving morning and return by 11 a.m. to avoid the worst of the traffic.
The worst time to drive, according to Google data, is between 15 and 16 p.m. on Wednesdays. The same data shows that noon on Thanksgiving Day is the busiest for shopping.