I know it's been a while since Mass Effect's heyday, with over ten years since Mass Effect 3, but the series still feels like gaming royalty to me.
That's why it's even more shocking to see it free with Prime Gaming as part of Prime Day. It is not marked down, highlighted or on sale, but totally free to get a copy. It feels like a weird alternate universe where some of the best games I've ever played ended up as bonuses.
Mass Effect actually disappeared from gaming culture after the turmoil around Mass Effect: Andromeda, and that's a shame, because the Mass Effect trilogy has some of the best storytelling in gaming. In fact, aside from the hiccups in When Mass Effect 3 Ended, most of the complaints I have about the series have also faded over time, leaving only favorite narrative moments and memories from the game. Taken together, the Mass Effect trilogy is a modern classic, and Commander Shepherd, Garrus, Wrex, Tali, and the others deserve our respect and attention.
(Image credit: EA/Bioware)
If you missed something, let me explain the Mass Effect hook:
You are Commander Shepard, and Earth has just arrived on the grandest stage in a galaxy full of alien races. You are a soldier of the human army, who has the opportunity to become an elite special forces agent of various species, the first for mankind. Everything quickly turns into a veritable rat's nest of danger and betrayal. You race to save the galaxy while making all kinds of cool alien friends along the way.
Mass Effect takes everything good that Bioware can do and energizes it. The alien species and environment are deep and colorful, and the stories being told seamlessly intertwine with all the hard work of world building.
Convenience is a huge benefit of the Legendary Edition, as it packs all three games into a single launcher, along with a neat stack of additional content. And the improvements on top of that are substantial, from graphical tweaks and updates throughout the series (but especially in the first game) to the original entry getting an easier-to-control Mako and a combat facelift.
In short, Mass Effect Trilogy is better than ever in Legendary Edition, and for today, it's free, more or less. So take my advice from the bottom of my heart and don't miss a thing.
Today's best Mass Effect and Mass Effect: Andromeda deals
More US Prime Day Deals
More UK Prime Day deals
- Amazon Devices: Up to 65% off Echo Dot and Fire TV Cube (Opens in a new tab)
- Adidas: 30% off select sportswear and sneakers (Opens in a new tab)
- Apple: save up to €150 on iPads and Apple Watch (Opens in a new tab)
- Back to school: backpacks and stationery from €1.50 (opens in a new tab)
- Beauty: save on Rimmel, Revlon, Olay and other top brands (Opens in a new tab)
- Coffee machines: From just €19 with up to 60% off (Opens in a new tab)
- Cheap Fire Tablets: Amazon Fire Tablets from €34.99 (Opens in a new tab)
- Dental: 57% off Oral-B and Philips electric toothbrushes (Opens in a new tab)
- Fashion: 40% off Vans, Hugo Boss, Wrangler and other brands (Opens in a new tab)
- Fire TV key: lowest price on all models (opens in a new tab)
- Shopping: €10 off your first three groceries (Opens in a new tab)
- Styling and hair care: 60% Off Philips Remington Shavers & Straighteners- opens in a new tab
- Listeners: Sony and Bose headphones at the lowest prices (Opens in a new tab)
- Turn on: 25% Off Kindle eReader Bundles (Opens in a new tab)
- Laptop- 15% off Microsoft, Huawei, Acer and Asus laptops (Opens in a new tab)
- Phones: Google Pixel 6 Lowest Price, OnePlus, Motorola (Opens in a new tab)
- ps5- Dualsense deals, plus savings on top games (Opens in a new tab)
- Security: $180 Off Ring Home Security Bundles (Opens in a new tab)
- Smart home: € 144 discount Ring and Echo Packs (Opens in a new tab)
- smart intelligence- Up to 50% Off Garmin Watches & Trackers (Opens in a new tab)
- Tablets: 41% off Samsung, Lenovo and Huawei tablets (Opens in a new tab)
- Tools: 49% Off Select Bosch Garden Tools & Products (Opens in a new tab)
- Televisions: 4K TVs starting at just €199 with half-price deals (Opens in a new tab)
- Vacuum cleaners: 35% Off Shark Cordless Vacuums (Opens in a new tab)
- xbox: Xbox Series X in stock for €449 (opens in a new tab)
Phil is a senior writer at TechRadar Gaming (TRG). With three years of experience as a freelance writer for PC Gamer, he has covered every genre imaginable. For 15 years he did technical writing and computer documentation, and more recently traditional game content. He is passionate about the appeal of diversity and how different genres can be sandboxes for creativity and emerging storytelling. With thousands of hours on League of Legends, Overwatch, Minecraft, and countless survival, strategy, and RPG entries, he still finds time for offline hobbies in tabletop RPGs, wargames, miniature painting, and hockey.